Some advice on how to reduce the negative effects on the environment:
- Eat less meat, choose more plant food instead. Try to exchange some meals of beef, lamb, pork or chicken every week with vegetarian meals, or eat smaller portions of meat.
- Choose fish harvested from sustainable stocks or farmed in a sustainable way, for example certified fish.
- Choose fruits and vegetables that store well, that is vegetables with lower water contents and higher fiber contents such as root vegetables, brassicas and onion.
- Eat less sweets, cakes, cookies and snacks – they have an impact on the environment but their nutritional contribution is low.
- Minimize food waste – store food properly, plan your purchases and use the leftovers.
Below you'll find out how different types of food affects the environment in different ways.